Channel NewsAsia reports:
“I will therefore be preparing to file an appeal against both my conviction and sentence,” said City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee, who has been sentenced to eight years’ jail for criminal breach of trust.
City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee (C) arrives at court for his sentencing hearing on Nov 20, 2015 in Singapore. The founder of the church was found guilty of misappropriating about US$35 million in donations to support his wife’s singing career in Asia. (Photo: AP/Joseph Nair)
SINGAPORE: City Harvest Church founder Kong Hee is preparing to file an appeal against both his conviction and sentence, he announced on Friday (Nov 27).
“Whilst I respect the Court’s decision, there are points which appear to be erroneous and warrant appeal. I will therefore be preparing to file an appeal against both my conviction and sentence,” he said in a Facebook post.
Kong was one of six City Harvest leaders in the recent trial, where he was sentenced to eight years’ imprisonment for criminal breach of trust. The six were found guilty of misappropriating S$50 million of church funds.
Earlier on Friday, the prosecution filed an appeal against the sentences for the six people convicted, which the prosecution called “manifestly inadequate”.
“My lawyers will also address the prosecution’s appeal at the appropriate time,” wrote Kong.
Source: Channel NewsAsia, City Harvest trial: Kong Hee to appeal to conviction and sentence, http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/city-harvest-trial-kong/2299228.html Published 27/11/2015. (Accessed 27/11/2015.)